Type the word measly into google and here’s what you get: paltry, meager, scanty, miserable, inadequate, insufficient. This perfectly describes my running mileage this past week. Reviewing my mapmyrun app I put in about 5 miles. That’s generous, let me rephrase: barely 5 miles. 5 miles on a goal of 15-20 is not so hot. Rest assured though, I was not napping all week!
Here’s what did happen while I wasn’t running those additional 10+ miles:
- Started my finance class. Put in at least 15 hours on this class this
Hubs watching our 8 year old’s game with our 6 year old.
week just reading and putting together my outline. I still have a little less than half the paper left to write later tonight/tomorrow.
- Started my new weight lifting routine. Managed to get every work out in. Had to cut the last workout of the week short because my 8 year old had a stomach flu so I couldn’t go to the gym as planned and I don’t have all of the equipment at home. So I got in what I could and called it good.
- It was our first week on a new initiative at work. Crazy busy with lots of new meetings and activity. Definitely well over the 40 this week but am very excited about this project.
- I did get my 2 HIIT sessions in without issue – yay! Felt good to meet with my trainer again.
- Went to 5 hockey games for my kiddos.
- Went to my monthly book club meeting with my girlfriends, went to my husband’s company party and we also had date night tonight at the Minnesota Wild Game. (Yes, the fun stuff counts too!)
Here’s the good news. I still have 8 months or so before the actual marathon. 5 miles is better than none and next week will be better. 🙂
Posted in Fitness, Hockey, Life Balancing
- Tagged fitness, friends, friendship, girls night out, grad school, hockey, ice hockey, kid sports, marathon, Minnesota, parenting, phd, run, running, strength training, training, weight lifting, work life balance, workout
Sometimes having it all doesn’t mean doing it all. Six miles on the training calendar today along with a full work day and an evening out with the girls. Easy peasy right?
Here was Plan A:
4:00 am – wake up and hit the treadmill for a 6 mile tempo run before work.
5:00 am – get in the shower
6:00 am – get on the road to work
7:00 am – work
5:00 pm – grab a drink with my buddies
Plan A was pretty much thrown in the mental shredder when my alarm went off and I remembered I hate getting up that early and that I also hate working out in the morning. Snooze, snooze, snooze. Argued with myself for another 20 minutes and finally negotiated that I would sleep in until 6:00 if I promised to run later after going out.
After work I met up with K and N. K and N are some of my best friends. We have known each other for years, work in similar level roles, have shared some amazing memories over the past 4+ years. Unfortunately we haven’t been able to get together very often due to life, schedules etc. I can’t tell you how long over due tonight was. We laughed, they sang (I can’t) and just generally had a great time. I am so appreciative to have these women in my life. We left with a pinky swear vow to make the time for each other more often.
So what happened to the six miles? After the eating, drinking, (singing!) and selfie taking I just didn’t have it in me to lace up the sneakers at 10:00 pm. Do I have any regrets? Not a one. It’s easy to get caught up in the day to day, making sure goals are met and things get accomplished. Get the run in, get the laundry done, write the term paper, get the kids to hockey, make dinner, (make sure dinner is more than Doritos and cheese sauce), check the homework, clean the house, blah blah blah. Sometimes it’s okay to put it all on the back burner and make time for fun and friendship too. I’m so glad I did tonight.
Tomorrow is Saturday. A brand new day. Those six miles will happen and I dedicate them to K and N. Love you ladies!